Posted Wednesday 12th December 2012
Digital Jersey welcomes new board members
Digital Jersey Limited, the industry body responsible for developing and promoting Jersey’s digital economy, is delighted to confirm the appointment of its Board of Directors.
Chairman Paul Masterton commented:
‘‘The objectives for Digital Jersey include creating economic value for the island through the growth of technology businesses and establishing Jersey as a leading jurisdiction in the digital sector. In this way, the aim is to both create jobs and to diversify the economy.
To help accomplish this, we have brought together an outstanding Board of Directors, with broad experience in the digital sphere and a deep understanding of what is required for businesses to develop and thrive in this fast-moving space. Key to this will be the new Board’s insights on the enablers that Jersey must put in place for digital success, including infrastructure, education and an effective regulatory change process.
I am excited about the future of Digital Jersey, and together with our new Board I strongly believe that we have an excellent opportunity to support and develop new and existing business in Jersey.”
The new Board includes:
• PAUL MASTERTON – Appointed as Chairman in October, with extensive business and leadership experience in Europe, the United States and Asia, Paul joined Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust as Chief Executive in 2008 and is credited with reviving the fortunes of the Trust.
• MIKE KING – Now the Chief Executive of Economic Development for the States of Jersey, Mike previously held the position of Executive Director for international inward investment operations across 14 countries for the Welsh Development Agency (WDA) and spent over 20 years in senior management positions in the international oil and gas industries.
• MARK LOANE – The Founder and CEO of C5 Alliance, Mark has over 20 years experience in Jersey’s IT industry and provides regular thought leadership and commentary on ICT in the Channel Islands.
• ELISABETH ASTALL – Originally from Jersey with extensive international experience, Elisabeth is the Director of the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory Board and also Director of the Board of Andrews Outcomes International.
• BEN HAMMERSLEY – An international Internet technologist, broadcaster and journalist, Ben is currently the UK Prime Minister’s Ambassador to East London Tech City. The first ‘Internet reporter’ for The Times, he is attributed with having coined the term ‘podcasting’.
• IVAN NIKKHOO – A Managing Director at Siemer & Associates, Ivan is a Silicon Valley veteran and frequent guest lecturer at the USC Marshall School of Business. He was previously Head of the Technology Practice at Barrington Associates and a finalist of the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
• PROFESSOR STEPHEN HEPPELL – A Professor for New Media Environments, Professor Heppell founded the Information Technology in Teacher Education group and is a winner of the Royal Television Society’s Judges’ award for lifetime contribution to educational broadcasting and has been referred to as “the father of ICT” by Think:Lab.
Additionally, JULIAN BOX, CEO of Calligo Limited in Jersey, has been appointed as the Chair of the Education & Skills Technical Advisory Group (TAG), the first of several key working groups to be formed to support Digital Jersey in achieving its objectives. As a leading expert in the technology sector, Julian is actively involved in supporting Jersey schools in the innovative use of IT.
Digital Jersey is currently finalising the recruitment process for Chief Executive Officer. Further announcements regarding this appointment will be made shortly.