The inaugural meeting of the Jersey Women in Tech group took place on Tuesday 15th November at the Digital Jersey Hub. Twenty attended, with many more offering their support and apologies.
There was clear agreement that more needs to be done to support women in tech and encourage girls to enter the industry.
The latest stats show that Jersey is behind the UK and rest of the developed nations, where 25% of digital jobs are held by women. Here it is just 15%. In developed countries, only 4% of software developer roles are held by women, in Jersey the number is so small we can’t measure it.
At the meeting we agreed:
- To encourage more women into the digital industry
Source role models. Plus, find a young woman we can tour around the schools, showing what girls can achieve.
Launch a ‘This Girl Can…’ style campaign to showcase case studies of women already working in the industry
- Initiate Training to get more adult women, esp mothers, interested in digital roles.
- Set up a new Slack Channel for Women in Tech so that everyone can communicate and share ideas, and sub groups can work together
- Set up a CIWomeninTech website encouraging collaboration between the Guernsey group and ourselves, but to use as a focal point for information and campaigns. This will be supported on the Digitalhub.je site
- Set up a database of women working in Tech in the Channel Islands.
- Meet monthly as a social networking group as well as a working group. Next meeting Tuesday 6th December 5.30pm, DJ Hub